Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Education is Politics

"In a curriculum that encourages student questioning, the teacher avoids a unilateral transfer if knowledge. She or he helps students develop their intellectual and emotional powers to examine their learning in school, their everyday experience, and the conditions of society. Empowered students make meaning and act from reflection, instead of memorizing facts and values handed to them."
I completely agree with this quote. I think that students should understand what they've been taught, and have their own individual opinion on it. A student should be free to speak out in class and ask questions, and not be taught just to memorize facts and be done with it. That's not learning.
"The teacher is the person who mediates the relationship between outside authorities, formal knowledge, and individual students in the classroom. Through day to day lessons, teaching links the students development to the values, powers, and debates in society."
I also think that it's a teachers job to get children ready for society. Teachers aren't only to teach children the material in the text book, but also help them get ready to go out into the world. However, when they prepare them for society, they shouldn't prepare the lower class students for a life taking orders, all children should be taught and prepared for the future in the say way, with the possibility of every child going to college and getting a high paying job.
"While a participatory classroom cannot transform society by itself, it can offer students a critical education of high quality, an experience of democratic learning, and positive feeling towards intellectual life."
I fully agree with this quote. I think that this quote sums up exactly what we as future teachers should be aiming for. It's important for us as teachers to give our students a good education that they can understand and grow off of, and also something that can prepare them for going out into society.

No comments:

Post a Comment