Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Weil Article

The article I just read was about segregating boys and girls in the classroom. Personally, I think that this is a bad idea. I don't think that girls and boys should be segregated in the classroom because classroom aren't just about learning the curriculum. School is giving children the chance to get used to society and the environment that they live in, and that includes boys and girls being together. In school not only do you learn subjects like history and math, but you learn how to climb the social ladder, you learn about the community, and you learn about how to interact with other. Going to a same-sex school only teaches you how to interact and work with people of your sex, which could really set a child back socially. Everybody is different and learns in different ways, and if you separate those children they'll never learn about cooperation. I think that it's important for boy and girls to be in school together because that's where they get the experience that they need to interact and socialize with others after they finish school.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this statement. I feel as though boys and girls should be kept together, especially before high school. As you stated, it allows the children to experience firsthand how to interact with others of the same sex and opposite sex. By segregating the sexes, the students are taught that the other sex is something foreign and alienated from them.

    ReplyDelete