Monday, February 15, 2010

White Privilege

Talking points on White Privilege, by McIntosh
Casey Martel
1. "As a white person, I realized I had been taught about
racism as something which puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege which puts me at an advantage."
I think that this statement is important because it shows that her eyes have been opened up to the possibilities that have been granted to her and not to others because of their race. She takes into consideration all of the choices that she's had and all of the privileges that she could have recieved that she had never notices before.
2. "The pressure to avoid it is great, for in
facing it I must give up the myth of meritocracy. If these things are true, this is not such a free country;
one’s life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own."
This quote is important because she is talking about how it's wrong for others to not get the same privileges in life as others. She thinks that everyone should get the same chances as everyone else and that people should be able to climb the social status by the work that they've accomplished and not by the color of their skin.
3. "I did not see myself as a racist because I was taught to recognize racism only in
individual acts of meanness by members of my group, never in the invisible systems conferring unsought racial dominance on my group from birth."
In this quote, she's talking about how she feels racism is not just being mean to somebody who is not white, she is talkign about how racism could be to ignore the fact that when you are born of a certain race, you get certain privileges. She feels that this privilege isn't known by many white people because they are born with it, but she feels that it is wrong and that things should not be this way in our society.

This article made me think about how we need to change the way we treat other people of different races. I think that we are born with a privilege that is higher than other races, and that we should give other races that same standard. I think that everyone should be treated equal and that the same doors that are open for one race should be open for all races. I think that McIntosh is right and that it is time for a change in the way we handle other races and the opportunities that we have over them.

2 comments:

  1. How do her ideas compare to those we read in Johnson, Delpit, and Lake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right. But so far after all these readings I'm almost feeling that the damage is done and this is our society. There can be lots of activist working towards change, but this is issue is a tough one to change. Maybe you can make a difference in your own classroom or around your own peers and that might help by affecting just those around you. And if everyone can think the way you are thinking then maybe some good will come out of all these readings.

    ReplyDelete